You are here


  • What are the operating hours for the court?

    The court is open 8:30 am to 5:00 pm Monday - Friday, except for federal holidays.

  • What kind of notification does the attorney of record receive on a case?

    All registered CM/ECF users will receive email notification of all filings to a primary email address (there is an option for additional email addresses) which includes a hyperlink to the document and one free look at the document filed.

  • Can I fax pleadings?

    Local Civil Rule 5.2 requires original documents to be filed.  Faxes are not accepted, unless otherwise authorized by the court.

  • What discovery material should be filed with the Clerk’s Office?

    Pursuant to Local Civil Rule 5.4, discovery materials should not be filed except as authorized by a provision of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure or upon an order of the court.

  • How are judges assigned to cases?

    Judges are randomly chosen by a computer database similar to a deck of cards.  When one judge is assigned, the cards are shuffled again for the next selection.  The Clerk’s Office has no discretion in the assignment of cases.

  • How can I view sealed pleadings?

    A sealed pleading is not accessible to the public.

  • How does an attorney get admitted to the Court?

    Attorneys may seek Special Admission also known as Pro Hac Vice or General Admission.  The Petition for Admission form is available on this website under forms.  Attorneys seeking General Admission must be a member of the Pennsylvania State Bar and their sponsor must be admitted to practice in the Middle District of Pennsylvania.

    General Admission requires the attorney and their sponsor to appear before a district judge to take an oath.  Upon completion of their oath the attorney must file the proper Petition for Admission and filing fee of $206.00 with the Clerk’s office.

    Special admission is sought for one case only and is electronically filed on the case for which the counsel is seeking admission and decided by the judge assigned to that case. Payment of the $50.00 Special Admission fee will be through Pay.Gov.

  • How do I go about requesting attorney admission date?

    Please contact the court at (570) 207-5682 or (570) 207-5600

  • How do I obtain a Certificate of Good Standing?

    Certificates of Good Standing are available from the Clerk’s Office for a fee of $19.00. Requests should be submitted to: Peter J. Welsh, Clerk of Court, William J. Nealon Federal Building, 235 North Washington Avenue, Scranton, PA 18503.  Please enclose a self-addressed, postage pre-paid envelope for return.

  • Does your office accept credit cards?

    Yes. The Clerk’s Office accepts Visa, Mastercard and American Express.