Student Internships (Non-paid Temporary Positions)
January 24, 2006 (will remain open)
College Interns (several positions available immediately) 10-40 hours a week in the Clerk's Offices located in Scranton, Harrisburg, and Williamsport, Pennsylvania. (Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall semesters.)
An intern performs duties such as the following:
1. May provide administrative support for the Clerk's office by assisting deputy clerks with periodic, special or short term projects such as filing and copying documents in accordance with court rules, etc.;
2. May provide administrative support for senior management staff.
3. May provide technical and administrative support for information management systems staff in their technology projects;
4. May assist in daily jury activities involving interaction with the public, attorneys and staff. Learn jury procedures governed by 28 U.S.C. Section 1861-1869, Jury Selection and Service Act. Learn how to qualify individuals for jury service. Observe and assist with actual jury selection procedures in the courtroom.
5. May assist in court proceedings.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE (Required):
Responsible clerical, administrative or technical experience which provided a knowledge of general office procedures and practices such as data entry, filing, record keeping. Experience with WordPerfect 10 and above, familiarity with database management concepts, and experience with research over the Internet.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE (Preferred):
Progressively responsible clerical, administrative or technical experience in a business setting or legal setting such as a law office, another court in the judicial system, or a local, state, or federal government office. An understanding of court management practices is a plus.
This is a non-paying position. No civil service or other benefits are available. College references required. Interns are responsible for coordinating any course work credit with their respective schools. Interns will be evaluated by the Clerk of Court based on performance of assigned responsibilities.
SUBMIT RESUME TO:
Clerk , U.S. District Court
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Contact Personnel Specialist at 570-207-5670.